Green Gift Guide for 2012
The Holidays are upon us once again. As green-focused people, the Holidays can present somewhat of a challenge. You want to take part and celebrate with your friends and family, but you also want to make sure that you do not waste or increase your impact on the Earth too much. Some people choose to make their own gifts or buy only used items, which are both great ideas, if you have the time to do so. However, not all of us do.
Luckily, the number of eco friendly gift choices keeps expanding each year. So, if you do not have the time to make something yourself or spend hours hunting for the perfect used item in thrift or antique stores, you can still buy something and feel good that it does not harm the environment too much.
Here are our Green Gift Guide for 2012.
Gifts for Her
1. Bamboo PajamasOK, we know these were in our 2011 Green Gift Guideas well, but they were so popular, and we got so many rave reviews on them, that we had to include them again. TexereSilk prides itself in its ethical sourcing philosophy and practice of social responsibility, which includes a well deliberated approach to ethical sourcing. It follows three tenants when it comes to its business: Human and Organizational Relationships, Eco Awareness and Preservation of Native Cultures and Social Cohesion.
The Women’s Bamboo Pajamas from TexereSilk are stylish, comfortable and eco friendly. They are are 95% Viscose made from Bamboo and 5% Spandex, so they are super comfortable and now come in 4 different colors: malachite, orchid, carnation and coral.
2. Mobile Edge MacBook Pro Eco Friendly Laptop ToteMobile Edge is a company that prides itself on making affordable, stylish and functional bags for electronic devices. Their ecollection products are constructed with 80% natural cotton canvas, a non-petroleum based material that is replenish-able and renewable.
The Mobile Edge MacBook Pro Eco Friendly Laptop Tote is available in many different colors, so you are sure to find one that she will like. With a 4+ star rating with over 50 reviews, you can feel confident that it is a gift she will love.
3. Recycled Silver Collection Sterling Wave RingThis beautiful ring is brought to you by the Southwest Spirit Jewelry company. Southwest Spirit Jewelry works with Native American tribes in New Mexico using fair labor to create authentic jewelry. Their Earth Friendly products used recycled materials to help reduce the impact on the Earth.
The Sterling Wave Ring is a unique design that is both elegant and contemporary. Yet, it is so simple in its design that it can be worn all of the time. As testified by its 5 star review, it is a piece she will absolutely love.
Gifts for Him
1. ReVIVE Series Solar ReStore External Battery PackAccessory Power is a company dedicated to building the best and most innovative power solutions for portable electronic devices.
The ReVIVE Series Solar ReStore External Battery Pack is an easy to use, multi-functional battery pack lets you take your charging on-the-go. You can charge a huge number of portable electronic devices using solar power, a USB port, or an AC outlet! It also contains an LED light, when you are out in the dark.
2. Wooden Straight Razor Shaving KitWe know, we know… in this modern world of portable electronic razors, why would anyone want a straight razor? Well, the answers are that they simply do a better job and do not require changing batteries or getting new blades. When the blade starts to become dull, simply sharpen it and you will be ready to shave again!
The Wooden Straight Razor Shaving Kit contains a straight Razor with wood handle and a carbon steel, hollow ground blade, a premium hand crafted leather strap, a sharpening canvas and swivel. (2′ x 16”) and a bristle shaving brush. You also get a wooden shaving bowl with soap.
3. Mobile Edge Eco-Friendly BackpackAre you noticing a trend? We like Mobile Edge. The company is trying hard to be eco-friendly and produces some terrific bags and backpacks.
The Mobile Edge Eco-Friendly Backpack is made of all-natural cotton canvas. It has a padded computer compartment that can fit laptops up to 17″. It also has custom fasteners to help keep your gear secure. With a 4.5 star rating, its a bag you know he will love.
Gifts for the Kids
1. Green Toys Sand Play SetAs featured in our Eco-Friendly gift guide of 2011, Green Toys is a company located in California that is geared toward one purpose: making products that are good for the earth and safe and fun for little ones. Everything they make is made out of recycled materials. They also use packaging made from minimal post-consumer recycled materials with no plastic twist ties or films.
Their Green Toys Sand Play Set is awesome because it replaces all of those cheap, junky, chemical-filled plastic beach toys that seem to break every year. It is made in the USA from 100% recycled plastic milk containers. The recycled HDPE (#2 plastic) meets FDA food contact standards and does not contain BPA, phthalates, or PVC.
Now you play with your little ones at the beach knowing that they are not being exposed to harm chemicals from their play toys.
2. Wooden Balance BikeSmart Gear is a small toy company that believes in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), which includes: consumer concern, labor standards, fair trade, environmental care and social giving.
The Wooden Balance Bike is made entirely from birch wood construction and non-toxic building materials. The tires are made from Pneumatic rubber. The seat adjusts so that the bike can grow with your child and they learn how to ride a bike.
If you have never heard of a balance bike, they are THE best way to teach a child how to ride a bike, hands down.
3. Dabbawalla Lunch BagDabbawalla is a small company based in Seattle, Washington. Their bags are designed in Seattle and responsibly sewn in Taiwan by a family-owned and operated sewing facility that supports fair labor practices. Each Dabbawalla bag is crafted individually and subtle differences add to their unique charm.
The Dabbawalla Lunch Bag is crafted from eco-sponge, an innovative neoprene fabric that has earned the Oeko-Tex 100 standard of safety in textiles. All Dabbawalla bags are certified free of lead, PVC, pthalates and over 100 other harmful substances. They also come in a wide variety of colors and styles, so you are sure to find one that your little one will enjoy.
Filed under Green Your Home by .